The first Mass at St. Bernard of Clairvaux Parish was June 27, 1911, offered by Monsignor Bernard Traudt, Vice general of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, at the Knights Templar Hall on Mower Street. The church was named St. Bernard of Clairvaux in honor of Monsignor Bernard Traudt. A portion of the current site was purchased in 1911 for $7,500.
The combination of a church and school building was constructed in 1918. A two-room, four-grade school opened in 1919 with the Dominican sisters. A convent was established in 1922. Construction on the current church began in 1962 and it was dedicated on April 28, 1963. Costs were estimated at $900,000 for a church and rectory. St. Bernard Parish School with 12 classrooms, a gymnasium and cafeteria was dedicated in 1955. Currently, 650 households are members of St. Bernard Parish and about 85% of families are stewards to the church. Half of the families are involved in parish activities. Involvement opportunities include prayer and worship services, school, preschool, religious education, youth ministry, human concerns and outreach, athletics, stewardship, Parish Council and leadership.
St. Bernard celebrated its 100th Anniversary on Sunday, June 5, 2011, at the 10 am Mass. Archbishop Jerome Listecki presided on this special day.